186 total views, 9 views today
Here are 10 facts about the most dreaded man in Nigeria
- His full name is Abu Mohammed Abubakar bin Mohammad al-Sheikawi.
- He is a man thought to be born around 1965to 1975. He is Kanuri by tribe
- He served as deputy leader to the group’s founder, Mohammed Yusuf, until Yusuf was executed in 2009.
- He is married to one of Muhammad Yusuf‘s four widows.
- His nickname is “Darul Tawheed”, which translates as “specialist in tawheed“, the Islamic concept of oneness of Allah
- Shekau was reported killed in 2009 but reappeared as the group leader less than a year later.
- In one prominent incident, he took credit for the kidnapping of over 200 school girls in April 2014. Shekau also announced that the kidnapped girls have been converted to Islam.
- He killed close colleagues such as Abu Anisa Ali al-Gombawi, Malim Omar, Mujahid Abu Hanifa, Hadhiq Kaka al-Hajj and Mustafa al-Chadi who had asked him to give allegiance to Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, the ISIS leader.
- In early October 2014, a video was obtained by AFP news agency that showed Shekau alive, in which he mocked the Nigerian military’s allegations that he had been killed.
- He has not yet been found
Jayamma Abanobi is a youth blogger passionate about writing. He can be reached via email firstname.lastname@example.org