Hanson Robotics took things a little bit further when they developed Sophia, a humanoid robot developed with Artificial Intelligence (AI). The robot developed with cut edge technology combining advanced engineering, artistry, science and AI.
View this post on Instagram
The Hong Kong based company developed Sophia on Valentine day 2016. The humanoid robot has gained massive media attention and even flaunts its own verified social media handles scattered across Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Obviously these social media handles are handled by a human handler but its quite interesting to see a robot having a social media handle.
The character of Sophia also does capture the imagination of global audiences, cutting across several countries. Sophia prides herself as the world’s first robot citizen and doubles as the first robot Innovation Ambassador for the United Nations Development Programme.
Sophia the humanoid robot has appeared in various shows appealing audiences across the is now a household name, with appearances on the Tonight Show and Good Morning Britain.
Sophia’s 2020 Key Features
- Human-sized appearance
- Most realistic human-like expressive face
- Patented artificial skin
- Customized skin tone, facial design, language and arm colours available
- Integrated set of human-like emotional expressions
- Sentence and context understanding with cloud connection
- Mouth, face and whole body motion synchronized with speech output
- 74 degrees of freedom
- Articulated fingers, arms and shoulders
- Three different rolling base options including self- navigating
- 600 gr. payload for each hand
- Face detection and body tracking
- Can be programmed for wide range of physical interaction tasks.
▪Degree of Freedom (DOF): 72 (32 head, 4 torso, 14 arms, 14 hands)
▪Artificial Skin for face and neck
▪Integrated set of emotional expressions.
▪Weight : 18kg (head, torso, arms)
▪Payload : hands can grasp and lift 600g▪Height : torso base to head 80cm; on tripod ~1.65m
▪Power : Tethered 100-240, or battery operated
▪Actuation : Servomotor
▪Sensors : 3D Depth stereo vision (Realsense D435), eye camera, sonar, IMU
▪Compass, Microphone array
▪Intel Iris Pro Graphics 580, included in NUC.
▪Connectivity options available on NUC
SDXC card slot
3.5mm Audio OpticaloMiniDP
Gigabit Ethernet ConnectionoHDMI portoWiFi
USB from huboConnectivity to external computer and GPU is also possible